Not sure about you, but when I was a boy, it was Tintin or Asterix. You could do both – but you had to have a favourite. Mine was Tintin (but probably only because my Dad encouraged Asterix).
However, even having declared my allegiance to the boyish Belgian, there is still something special about the gallant Gaul. And so, when the opportunity arose to attend the launch of the new Asterix book Asterix Chez Les Pictes I was always going to consider it worth going. This one had a few bonuses though:
- The launch was at famed Paris bookstore L’Ecume des Pages
- This was the first Asterix book for 8 years and the first by new creators (Jean-Yves Ferri & Didier Conrad)
- It was attended by Ferri & Conrad who chatted and signed copies (for VIPs – not moi!)
- It was attended by Asterix & Obelix (see pics)
- It had one of those all-important midnight exclusive releases
So, all in all, I have to say I’ve ticked something off the bucket-list-I-didn’t-know-I-had list purely by walking the streets in a city where there’s something happening all the time.